With the world of mobile apps continuing to explode, Its time to share another 8 apps that will prove valuable in any PE class. Here they are in no particular order.
1.) TimeMotion – Fantastic FREE application that allows you to record locomotion types of either live or recorded team sports. While observing the activity, simply select the type of movement the athlete is completing and update throughout the game. The app keeps a statistical breakdown of time/percentage spent standing, walking, running, sprinting etc allowing for a detailed exploration of energy system usage, training requirements and much more.
2) TempoPerfect - TempoPerfect is free metronome software for keeping a clear and precise beat. Metronomes are essential for keeping time, improving practice sessions, and for developing a consistent rhythmic feel. Have used this in the past while connected to speakers to facilitate a variety of fitness tests and training sessions. Users can select from 40bpm to 280bpm.
3) iMuscle - Incredible application that allows you to explore the muscles of the human body in isolation. Zoom in close to find out the anatomical name, appropriate stretches and training. Recently used this on the iPad while connected to an interactive whiteboard to explore stretches for specific muscle groups. A MUST HAVE. Check out there other apps here
4) Step Test - Designed with PE teachers in mind, the step test app quickly and easily facilitates the queens college step test. The app guides the user through the test using the internal metronome to keep users in a “up-up-down-down’ cadence. At the completion of the 3minutes the user measures their Heart Rate for 15 seconds with this data then being used to determine their cardiovascular fitness and predicted V02max. See the video demo here
5) Heart Rate Training Zone - Helps you to determine your maximum heart rate then allows you to focus your training within a designated zone to ensure you maximise your training benefits. Measure your Heart Rate using the app by simply tapping the screen in sync with your actual heart beat.
6) Tru Posture - Amazing application that allows you to use your camera on your device to explore the state of your posture. Simply stand tall and have someone take a picture and let the app immediately identify the areas under pressure.
7) EasyTag – Simple application that allows you to do statistical recording within sports. Perfect for getting Key Performance Indicators from within games. Have injured students do recording during practical classes.
8) 12MinuteRun - Application designed to facilitate the coopers 12minute run fitness test. Uses the internal GPS to measure recorded distance covered in 12minutes. This distance is then used with your gender and age to determine your aerobic fitness level and predicted V02max.
So what are your favourite apps? How about android apps you are using in PE? Share your suggestions below.