Yesterday I ran into an idea through a tweet that got me really excited. Some of you may know that I have just returned from a trip where the students used mobile phones to record audio blogs that then transfered to our class blog. Well on the discovery of www.qik.com I was wishing I could go back and integrate this within our trip (ohh well there’s always next time)
So what does it do?
Qik lets you set up a live streaming feature from a phone that allows you to make video calls. You can then embed the stream into anything that allows embedding such as wiki’s, blogs etc etc. The process is quite simple to get started and you can be streaming live in no time at all.
1. go to www.qik.com
2. Register and choose the SMS option
3. Enter your phone number and details, country etc and you will receive a text message with the unique address you need to follow on your mobiles browser.
4. You will then be asked to install the application, and place a shortcut button on your main screen if you like
5. In live time the registration process on your computer will be following along with knowing when you have installed the program it asks for a few more details
6. Once completed you are ready to stream live, simply start the application and then once connected press “STREAM”
7. Watch your stream live at your qik page (www.qik.com/ you username)
8. If you cant make the live stream, no worries all streams are auto recorded so you can watch them later. Simply Superb.
As you may be starting to think, the possibilities within the classroom are countless. Tommorow im going on a bike ride with a group of students and plan to use qik to stream to a student who has a broken leg and sadly cant participate. That way she won’t miss out on the action and the brief outdoor lesson. You can view my stream at www.qik.com/mrrobbo
Would love to hear how you think you could use it in your classes.
Filed under: Uncategorized